Sunday, January 1, 2017

Annus horribilis 2016

This was my personal annus horribilis, but I know that 2016 proved to be a very bad year for far too many people. I didn't have any decent stuff happening for me until August after I moved back to Brisbane – I had a lot of things to do in my diary! In October I got into the School of Hard Knocks choir, but the next month I lost a friend. This might just tell you something you hadn't read about – there are a few of my blogs mentioned. I live differently.

January: David Bowie died 10 January as a result of his cancer. Alan Rickman from the Harry Potter series died 14 January also from his cancer. Glenn Frey from Eagles died 18 January. Blog “Welcome to my hell” printed 31 January. Unemployment increased to 6.0%, highest jobless number in 4 months.

February: Looking for work. Blog “Looking for work?” printed 11 February. Trade deficit up to $3.41billion. Unemployment at 5.8%

March: Jon English died 9 March from post-operative complications from his aortic aneurysm. Keith Emerson, from Emerson, Lake & Palmer, committed suicide 10 March by shooting himself in the head. Wrote a blog called “I wish...” on 22 March which reflected my thoughts of wishing for work – and help. Unemployment dropped to 5.7%.

April: Blogged “The Decision” on 10 April about how I was frustrated about the lack of decision “10 months and 27 days (and a few hours, give or take)”. Got my result from QIRC on 22 April: even though the Commissioner found in my favour (I read: section 32(3)(ba) ), he read section 32(5)(b) of the Act which wouldn't allow it. He found for Q-Comp. My brain stopped working... I didn't think at all about what I was doing, just a reaction towards my severe depression. I gave notice at my rental property as it was now too expensive for me. Singer Prince died 21 April. Unemployment at 5.7%.

May: Moved up to a farm property just north of Noosa. It started well, blogged “Sweet Home Cootharaba” on 15 May, but it went downhill for the next two months. No NBC at the farm. Unemployment at 5.7%.

June: No NBC at the farm. Had to drive to Noosa Library every second day. Blog on 22 June was titled “Courage and strength”. Unemployment up to 5.8%.

July: No NBC at the farm. Did not enjoy the area, arranged to move back to Brisbane to a retirement village in Bethania. Car into mechanic for repairs and blogged about that - “Going down, going up”, 10 July. Daughter came to vet with me and Jordie, arranged for exams, medicals and prescriptions. Unemployment at 5.7%.

August: Big communication problem with HELP about registering me for employment – I wanted to, they didn't. Blog “Communication problem”, 18 August. Unemployment at 5.6%.

September: Had seemed to be okay when I first moved in, but started going downhill from this month. Induction held far too long after I arrived, I asked questions and got growled at! Dog owners were banned from walking some retirement village paths (not against the law!). Train issues became a problem. Blogged about that, “Too much to handle”, 10 September. Unemployment at 5.6%.

October: Wrote a positive blog - “Snuggling up”, 12 October. Got into School of Hard Knocks choir! Began my severe low depression with my fight with the property manager and site manager. Unemployment at 5.6%.

November: Wrote a blog about site manager calling me names - “Nutcase” 1 November. Dom (friend) committed suicide – self-invoked hunger while he waited to die from asbestosis. Blogged about him in “Asbestosis” on 7 November. Leonard Cohen died 11 November. Attempted suicide later this month; taken to hospital and kept overnight. Locked out of my unit by the site manager when I got back, illegal. Ongoing communication with police, Tenants Qld, Q-Star, YFS and others for help. Application to QCAT against property manager. Unemployment at 5.7%.

December: Moved into (2brm) unit in Eagleby, felt so good because I was self-contained, had a decent yard for Jordie, and same rent as single bedroomed unit! Wrote a blog about what I suffer, “Dyspraxia”, 17 December. George Michael died 25 December. Unemployment figures not available for this month yet.

So now it's 2017. Last night I didn't watch the TV which was set up to show the Sydney NYE stuff. The noise over the back neighbour's fence seemed to have disappeared - it had been there almost the entire day, but around 10pm it just... disappeared! (Maybe they'd all gone to sleep...) And I was tired. Every day tired. I have attended many years of celebrations, but these years they just aren't for me. The only thing I want to see is the new year, the best new year, the decent new year. I hope this year works for all of you.

Have a wonderful 2017!


No comments:

Post a Comment